Thursday, September 10, 2009

Points are Points

Let's just get this out of the way right now:

I'm an idiot.

That's all I need to say and encompasses both my lack of posts and the general sense you should have while reading here. Honestly, I could not be more of a moron if I started Marvell Wynne in a road qualifier.

Regardless, I'm back! I'm sure you are underwhelmed. right now, you're thinking I'm the soccer blogger equivalent of Clint Dempsey: bored, unproductive, lazy. Which is all true. But I can also pop up at opportune moments and make a big play. When I'm not back-heeling the ball to an opponent in midfield.

*

My thoughts on the last three US qualifiers are the same as yours. Not impressed, except in the team's ability to put themselves in position to get the points. This can't be understated. No, you don't look at the games and think, "Wow!" In fact, if you're like me, you spent most of the 270+ minutes ready to heave (a friend IM'd me prior to the Mexico game, "No live blog?" I could no more live blog that game than I could play 90 in Azteca. I could barely fucking breathe). But at the end of time, the Nats banked six points (out of what I thought was a realistic seven).

Something to be said for getting the result.

However, they've left us plenty to chew on. Not much of it is positive.

I hated the collective "pull back" after the Charlie Davies goal in Mexico. It seemed like the team immediately went into a defensive shell. Immediately. When they'd been dangerous right from the opening whistle. I understand being disciplined and keeping your shape in the back, but if you stop attacking--completely--then you don't cause any problems for your opponents, specifically the outside backs and holding mids, who can then pour forward without impunity. This problem was no doubt exacerbated by the absolutely dismal distribution from the back. A dozen times (or more), we won the ball and mis-placed a pass that would have either started a counter or, at least, gave us some possession.

Where have you gone Michael Bradley? With Maurice Edu and Jermaine Jones healing (filing paperwork) in the wings, his days are numbered if he doesn't improve his form, right? Right? I've never bought the nepotism angle and considering Dad's oft-repeated "Players need to get games" philosophy, Junior certainly can't stake a certain claim while sitting on Gladbach's bench. Wasn't it just a few short months ago that we were teeming with defensive midfielders?

Stuart Holden. I told y'all, didn't I? Not only does he have skills, but he's the scrappiest player on the field when he comes on. All our guys used to be scrappy. Now it looks like they're playing in slow-motion at times. The T&T match resembled a 1998 MLS match for large stretches.

Whatever this says about me, I don't care: I follow these guys on Twitter:

Jozy
Charlie Davies
Stuart Holden
Freddy Adu

Stanky Leg? C'mon guys, you can do better than that. That song sucks.

In my trip around teh internets this morning, I was praying to see Ricardo Clark's massive strike commemorated with a "Rico Suave" headline. I was disappointed. Gerardo is not fully appreciated as an artist.

*

So, a win in Honduras clinches a spot. Hard to see that happening, which means at least a draw at home to Costa Rica in the last game (look out below, the Ticos are in free-fall). Then again, we've shown we can get a result in pressure situations. Be nice to relax during that final fixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment